The God of the Mountain

     Last night, I was driving home from my Bible study praising God for His goodness, excited at how well the night had gone when I got a phone call that plucked me off the mountain and set me right down in a valley.
     Despite all the drama and trauma getting there (mostly of my own making) the day finally arrived - my first Bible study session was last night, and it was wonderful.  We had about 18 ladies, 4 of whom I met for the first time, and 2 from our sister church, Calvary Tucson.  Everyone engaged and participated.  We had good questions and conversation.  It was in every way a success.  Praise God!  I left riding high. On the way home, in the car, I was recounting various highlights of the evening and sharing them with my Lord, giving Him praise and just revelling in His goodness.  Then my mom called.
    She asked if I was home.  "No, I'm driving home from Bible study.  My first study.  That was tonight, remember?"  I was ready to launch into a description of the night, but something in her voice when she asked if I was home made me ask, "Is everything ok?"  When she replied, "No", I could hear the shakiness of the verge of tears in her voice.  Alarm bells started going off in my spirit.  "Jay died tonight."  Jay was my mom's step-brother.  He was 56 - just two years older than I. He didn't know the Lord.  The mountain-top high I'd been feeling just moments earlier were replaced by an overwhelming sadness.  Mom shared how she was called over to her step-mom's house because Alberta couldn't wake Jay up and she was worried.  Mom couldn't wake him either.  They couldn't find a pulse.  They called 911.  Mom called me as soon as the coroner's van had left.
     A million thoughts went through my mind.  I wondered what happened - he was so young.  I thought of poor Alberta.  She had lost her son whom she loved.  No one should have to out live their children.  I wondered if my mom was now reliving the night she heard her own son had died.  I thought about my last interaction with Jay.  We didn't like each other much and butted heads every time we talked.  I regretted that.  I thought about his life, his death and his eternity.  It all left me overwhemed with sadnesss.
     One of my favorite worship songs is called "The God of the Mountain".  It says, "The God of the mountain is the God of the valley...the God of the good times is still God in the bad times, and the God of the day is still God in the night."  Life on this broken planet is a big rollercoaster.  One minute we are up on the mountaintop and the very next we are down in the valley.  How thankful I am for a God who is right there in the seat next to me wherever the ride takes me.  How I wish Jay knew Him.  If he did, would he still be alive today?  I don't know.  It's hard to think about.  But I know this:  The God of the mountain is down in the valley with mom and Alberta today.  He's holding their hand and seeing them through.  He will be with them through all the rough moments ahead and will one day lead them by the hand to the top of the mountain again. "Thank you, Lord, for being consistent; for never leaving nor forsaking us.  Thank you for being the same loving God when we are in the valley as you are on the mountain."  Amen. 
      Everyone needs to know the God of the mountain so they will be able endure the valley. I am more determined than ever to introduce Him to everyone I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment